Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Dan Book
Date:
June 27, 2020 17:00
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
CABMkAVVj5uNhXtQwR_KsR7rMMAkF_=byk1x2SM8CKQRcsvFbSw@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think it is not prudent to hurry this process. Currently we haven't
> > formed a consensus on anything because we haven't even had the chance
> > to do so.
>
> This is also incorrect. We have been working on this for over half a
> year. We had numerous conversations on it with a staggering amount of
> stakeholders. The picture you paint is incorrect and in that regard,
> also unfair.
>

> > Opening up blead and committing to releasing a 5.34 just
> > like Karen already suggested would give us that breathing space.
>
> Perhaps. This is worth discussing once the dust settles from
> statements that characterize that almost no one was informed, that you
> had no room to comment, that it was forced upon you, or that it was
> both done in secret but also not fully done in secret.
>
> This shows an example of the problem we have with the list. The public
> feuding on the process not being exactly what you want is mixed with
> the need to pin down the rest of the details and potential ways to
> move forward. Having to respond to the former also takes a lot of time
> from being able to focus on the latter.
>

> > And most importantly, it allows us to bring the discussion back to p5p
> > where it belongs; to take well-informed decisions and to experiment
> > with what is and is not possible without undue time pressure.
>
> This is again, ignoring the reality that p5p is not best suited for
> *all* discussions, only to some. We know this and it is with this
> practice that we ran for at least several years now in which we've had
> core summits.
>
> Now that we resolved to make this decision, the discussion is brought
> back to the public. But at the same time, you cannot complain that
> these details were not resolved privately.

I think this is a counterproductive way to approach the development of
Perl. This is not a software developed by a company with specific design
goals. This is a community project where the actual implementation is done
by volunteers, sponsors and grantees, highly subject to their particular
motivation. It is not the details of this proposal which need to be better
hashed out publicly, but the fundamental design and goal.

-Dan