Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
John Lightsey
Date:
June 26, 2020 19:07
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
eed9e65cf987e57d00f059fb9922132500366f97.camel@nixnuts.net
On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 14:46 +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 02:49:31PM +0200, demerphq wrote:
> > To achieve this change requiring new code to include "use v7" is a
> > non-starter.
>
> This is the bit I fundamentally don't understand. Convince me of this,
> and most of my objections will fizzle away.

To me, the primary purpose of not requiring an opt-in to the currently
recommended defaults is to avoid preserving the existing default
behaviors indefinitely going forwards.

I'd love to see Perl 8 fix long standing problems like threading and
Windows support. Maybe Perl 9 provides a transition to better designs
where both the old and new are supported, but why would the Perl
interpreter 20 or 30 years in the future continue to support the current
problematic behaviors?

The specific changes going into Perl 7 are less important than the idea
of the language evolving going forward from that point. If the set of
changes is too aggressive and disruptive for too little benefit it would
make sense to moderate them and make the transition to Perl 7 smoother.

It isn't reasonable to expect that all existing Perl code will be
rewritten for every major version change of the interpreter. It also
isn't reasonable to expect that all existing Perl code will continue
working without any modifications across all major version changes of
the interpreter.

Striking a reasonable balance between those two extremes while improving
the language should be the goal, right?