Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
demerphq
Date:
June 26, 2020 18:25
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
CANgJU+UBv+sJOBagfewE4H3FOXzsP_mwU-PTJMPbMjEL26Oqhg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 18:03, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> So for example,  running a plain perl script using a perl7 interpreter is
> as if the following lines had been injected at the top of the script:
>
>     use warnings;
>     use strict;
>     use feature 'signatures';
>     no feature 'indirect';
>     ... etc ...
>
> is that the same as your understanding?

Depends on your definition of "as if".

If it means "exactly the same as", then no, that isnt my expectation.

If it means "produces the same practical outcome for the developer" then yes.

Meaning that if my understanding of what "use strict;" will imply is
correct then we would probably not make the v7 semantics actually
trigger strict.pm, the latter would be used only in legacy code.

Anyway, i really hope Sawyer or Todd speak up here. Maybe i have got
the whole strict thing totally wrong. Shrug.

Yves