Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
June 26, 2020 18:04
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
CAPJsHfB5pd+xcTPZpFuFADQZc57mZhPwxOiQVQ4G00SqnAv=8w@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:04 AM Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> My understanding was that, by default, perl7 will enable many of the
> optional features available via 'use feature X' and/or 'use v5.32.0',
> plus possibly some other stuff.
>
> I think that this will break a *lot* of existing code and CPAN modules.
> Which is at the heart of my objection.

I am greatly concerned about this as well.

One thing that could help (and I have asked for this in the past;
unfortunately I have lacked the tuits to do it myself) is to compile
variants of perl with these pragmas forcibly turned on, and smoke all of
cpan with it to see the outcome.  As a cpan author and janitor, I would
certainly appreciate being able to see which distributions within my
control are affected by certain pragma or feature options, so that I can
proactively move to make appropriate fixes.  There may also be some
surprising findings from this exercise that would help inform us which
pragmas and features should be enabled or not enabled.  Core and dual-life
modules would also no doubt be affected, and they MUST all be fixed for
whatever default feature set is decided upon.

This doesn't tell us anything about the darkpan, of course, but it would at
least give the growing list of keen-to-see-p7-happen volunteers something
to set their attention on in the short term. (I see the Pull Request Club
is enjoying a revival thanks to the TPC too!)