develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2020

Re: Perl moving above 5.x version numbers

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
May 19, 2020 19:41
Re: Perl moving above 5.x version numbers
Message ID:
ffc07938-978c-131b-146d-7cf22251168c@darrenduncan.net
Yes, what Dan said, is my motivation, its about perception that Perl is moving
forward regularly.

Also, just shifting the numbers, whether its done for 34 or 36 or whenever we're
ready, shows respect to Perl's long history and many updates over the years, it
more properly represents how much has been built over the years.

Incrementing the first version per yearly release is helping Postgres'
perception, and other projects, which have moved to doing that.

I'm not specifically proposing that this needs to be rushed for next year.

Other than the work involved to make sure the tooling and ecosystem works with
the updated scheme, which can take as much time as it needs to, is there really
any strong tie to calling Perl version 5 forever that people say they'd rather
not change?

-- Darren Duncan