develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2020

Re: Perl moving above 5.x version numbers

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
May 19, 2020 15:45
Re: Perl moving above 5.x version numbers
Message ID:
05af095a-1cd4-0059-cb19-201adf384843@gmail.com
[top-posted]

Apologies for the brevity.

On 5/19/20 7:54 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> Now that Raku has, or is in the process of, no longer using the Perl
> version namespace, has there been any serious consideration by the
> Perl 5 Porters to start exploiting version numbers above 5.x for major
> releases?

This is an option.

> I propose, if possible, that the next major production version of Perl
> after 5.32 be 34.0, and then continue on in that manner afterwards.

I'm with Dave on this. Let's not.

> As for dealing with distinguishing development versus production, the
> smallest change would be just to take the current process and shift it
> to the left, so eg 33.x is dev (or as a special case could be 5.33.x
> as a transitional exception), 34.x is prod, 35.x is dev, and so on.
>
> Do we consider that Perl is free to independently make this move, or
> does anyone feel that Raku still has to do more than they have done
> first so that conflicts or incompatibilities can be prevented?

I think Raku have done enough to enable us to explore this.