develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2020

Perl moving above 5.x version numbers

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
May 19, 2020 05:39
Subject:
Perl moving above 5.x version numbers
Message ID:
b583c69e-cb18-0abc-9fe0-0a9128a809da@darrenduncan.net
Now that Raku has, or is in the process of, no longer using the Perl version
namespace, has there been any serious consideration by the Perl 5 Porters to
start exploiting version numbers above 5.x for major releases?

I propose, if possible, that the next major production version of Perl after
5.32 be 34.0, and then continue on in that manner afterwards.

As for dealing with distinguishing development versus production, the smallest
change would be just to take the current process and shift it to the left, so eg
33.x is dev (or as a special case could be 5.33.x as a transitional exception),
34.x is prod, 35.x is dev, and so on.

Do we consider that Perl is free to independently make this move, or does anyone
feel that Raku still has to do more than they have done first so that conflicts
or incompatibilities can be prevented?

Thank you.

-- Darren Duncan