develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2020

Reminder about changes to metaconfig generated files

From:
Dominic Hargreaves
Date:
May 17, 2020 16:19
Subject:
Reminder about changes to metaconfig generated files
Message ID:
20200517154604.oftm6mwgehfjzxes@urchin.earth.li
Hi all,

I wanted to remind people that we would like to try and keep Configure
(and related generated files) in sync with the metaconfig repository
as much as possible. Quoting from[1], in the normal case, changes to this
files should be coordinated with the metaconfig maintainers (I've just added
a link to the Github issue queue).

We do this so that we can ensure that the source code for these
scripts is distributed alongside the perl source code - an important
requirement for the Debian project. During the Debian perl sprint this
weekend we prepared a few fixups [2], [3], [4].

Also, as a heads up (mostly to the metaconfig maintainers) since
this is the first time since we (Debian) started using this
repository that there have been changes to Configure in a maintanence
release that we have imported into Debian, I created a
maint-5.30 branch yesterday with the relevant commits[5], and added
the 5.30.2 tag.

Cheers,
Dominic

[1] <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/blead/Porting/pumpkin.pod#automated-generation-of-derivative-files>