develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: chained comparisons

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
March 27, 2020 22:24
Re: chained comparisons
Message ID:
0e22b11d-e42c-1c53-8550-bd1c20eb4baa@pobox.com
On 3/27/20 4:00 PM, Zefram via perl5-porters wrote:
> James E Keenan wrote:
>> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/17664#issuecomment-605227883
>
> Looks like that depends on the number of opcodes, not on any details of
> the opcodes.  Specifically the number of opcodes mod 8, which by chance
> with the chained comparison patch has become zero.  The value zero for the
> resulting constant, reported by the warning, is in fact the desired value.
> In general the code is correct (given the -fwrapv option).  The warning
> should be silenced by adding some explicit casting.
>
> -zefram

Thanks for your response.  We'll rapidly test any patch you (or anyone
else) submit.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan