develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: Killing Symbian, DOS (DJGPP) and NetWare in 5.34?

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
March 21, 2020 13:15
Re: Killing Symbian, DOS (DJGPP) and NetWare in 5.34?
Message ID:
1d696b62-a147-e195-6962-2a1f074bf941@gmail.com

On 3/21/20 2:54 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 3/21/20 6:51 AM, Karl Williamson wrote:

>>> This is the most compelling argument for me too.
>>>

>> Note that I did not claim for sure that the only reason for
>> PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT is Symbian; only that it appears so based on
>> Tomasz' doing some research.  I emailed Jarkko to make sure he
>> doesn't know another, and maybe Dave Mitchell also has information
>> about this.
>
> In the meantime, I got the reply below from Jarkko:
>
> Kill it.
>
> The only qualm I have is that the PERL_GLOBAL_* are a useful regimen
> of encapsulation: they allow completely removing global symbols of
> (lib)perl so that only a few entry point functions remain. Even without
> platforms *requiring* that, cleanliness like that is useful.

How often is it used in this manner, rather than to support those platforms?