develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: Killing Symbian, DOS (DJGPP) and NetWare in 5.34?

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
March 20, 2020 21:40
Re: Killing Symbian, DOS (DJGPP) and NetWare in 5.34?
Message ID:
20200320231612.22e9f817@telaviv1.shlomifish.org
Hi, James!

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 12:54:05 -0400
James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/20 11:28 AM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> > On 3/19/20 3:50 PM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:

> >> NetWare and Symbian definitely should go because they're dead platforms
> >> that have been unmaintained for years.
> >>
> >> DOS (FreeDOS) and DJGPP are technically still alive but it indeed seems
> >> they have no users, so I'm not opposed to removing it.
> >>

> > Further research from Tomasz indicates, I believe, that if we got rid of
> > symbian we could get rid of PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT.  It was added mainly for
> > mingw, which no longer needs it.
> >
> > I think getting rid of PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT shows that there is real
> > benefit to removing Symbian at least; that it does cause unnecessary work.
>
> Apropos possibility of getting rid of PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT:
>
> $ ack -l PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT . |sort
> cpan/Config-Perl-V/V.pm
> dist/Devel-PPPort/parts/embed.fnc

Two ack tips:

1. ack has a "--sort-files" flag that sorts the traversed pathnames
lexicographically and can be abbreviated as "--sort" or even "--so".

2. You can omit the trailing ".".

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
“So, who the hell is Qoheleth?” - https://shlom.in/qoheleth

How can you make a programming language that will be good for everything if you
cannot even make such a screwdriver?
    — An Israeli Open Source Software Enthusiast.