develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: Killing Symbian, DOS (DJGPP) and NetWare in 5.34?

From:
ilmari
Date:
March 20, 2020 00:21
Re: Killing Symbian, DOS (DJGPP) and NetWare in 5.34?
Message ID:
87imizvpu4.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 20:15:54 +0000
> ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker) wrote:
>
>> Hi Porters,
>>
>> We still have (no doubt bit-rotten) code to support Symbian, DOS and
>> NetWare, but nobody has been submitting smoke or bug reports in years
>> (https://perl5.test-smoke.org/ does not have them in its OS dropdown).
>>
>> I propose we kill these in 5.34, which means we should announce this in
>> perl5320delta, like we did with a bunch in perl5160delta.  We actually
>> threatened to kill djgpp back then, but never did.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> NetWare and Symbian definitely should go because they're dead platforms
> that have been unmaintained for years.
>
> DOS (FreeDOS) and DJGPP are technically still alive but it indeed seems
> they have no users, so I'm not opposed to removing it.

Another seemingly-dead DOSISH platform is OS/2.  Do we know if anyone
still uses (Perl on) it?  According to wikipedia, the offshoot
eComStation "is still used as of 2019".

https://www.ecomstation.com/news.phtml?action=fullnews&id=3839 mentions
their Perl was updated to 5.14.2 in 2012, and
https://github.com/komh/perl-os2, has 19 commits on top of Perl 5.16,
the most recent in December 2017.

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
  the mainstream press' sense at least.               - Matt McLeod