develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: Thoughts in the direction of a core try/catch syntax

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
March 19, 2020 16:03
Re: Thoughts in the direction of a core try/catch syntax
Message ID:
20200319160322.2ed66458@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 17:07:04 +0000
"Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

>   2b) Import the simpler syntax as it currently stands (and possibly
>       even without the `catch my $e ...` form), then experiment on
> CPAN with the typing and do a second round into core afterwards.
>
> I don't think 2b would necessarily be too bad. It compares e.g. with
> sub signatures, which turned up in a relatively simple form early on
> and had a couple of versions of iteration where more features were
> added and expanded on the "obvious holes" left in the first one. I
> could see a simple try/catch being added as a first step while
> preserving the lexical gap between "catch" and its brace-delimited
> body for where to put some as-yet-undecided syntax for that type
> dispatch.

Given the lack of comment for or against, I'm going to follow this
route. That and my oodles of free time given the current worldwide
virus situation, I think I should be able to work on something.

I'm not intending to have anything in time for 5.32, it being a bit
late now, but my hope is to have something that looks merge-ready early
in the round for 5.33.x so we'll have plenty of time to bring it into
blead and test it out, before it hits 5.34.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans