develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: chained comparisons

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 13, 2020 11:14
Re: chained comparisons
Message ID:
20200313121449.3a1ce00b@pc09.procura.nl
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:12:45 +0000, "Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans"
<leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 00:07:51 +0000
> Zefram via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:
>
> > Sawyer X wrote:
> > >What I am wondering is how far can these semantics be stretched.
> > >

> > There's no way it could do more than one would expect.  It's not
> > open-ended, doesn't interact with many other features, and only
> > interacts with other features in very well-defined ways.
>
> I've been quiet on this thread so far but my $0.02 is:
>
> This feature seems good, fills an obvious gap in existing syntax and
> is well-defined, limited in scope and very unlikely to break anything
> either now, or in the future. It doesn't limit us to anything else
> we'd need to support around it. It doesn't feel like it needs to be
> experimental as there really are no degrees of freedom left in it with
> which to experiment.
>
> In summary: I vote it be added as it stands, un-experimentally.

So do I, FWIW

using perl5.00307 .. 5.31      porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux
https://useplaintext.email  https://tux.nl  http://www.test-smoke.org