develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2020

Re: chained comparisons

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
March 7, 2020 20:17
Re: chained comparisons
Message ID:
c7688bd9-d02d-cc3f-9fff-50692e31c492@khwilliamson.com
On 3/7/20 1:09 PM, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 6:12 PM Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>> Where do we stand on this?  Is it able to be put in core in the next 2
>> weeks?
>
> AFAICT the main remaining questions were:
> 1. Does it need to be a feature? (in the feature.pm sense of the word)
> I believe it doesn't, since this is currently invalid syntax (much the
> same way defined-or doesn't need a feature but say does)
> 2. Does it need an experimental warning? I can't really think of
> anything we could want to change about this feature, but we have done
> it for all other features we added in the past few years.
>
> Leon

I can think of two arguments in favor of making it an experimental
warning, both having to do with something we later discover is wrong
with it.

1) If we haven't foreseen various issues, it gives us the freedom to
make changes later on, or even withdraw it

2) If somehow it creates an attack vector for an application that allows
patterns to be submitted publicly for evaluation, that application can
make that warning message fatal and protect themselves.