develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2020

Re: WebPerl patches for core

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
February 10, 2020 22:59
Re: WebPerl patches for core
Message ID:
CAHhgV8jDDgvoH3-KaW7ZWN1g=2ymX8L056qjoZYWDWDvEMH1XQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 5:13 PM Hauke D <haukex@zero-g.net> wrote:
> As some of you may know, a while back I ported Perl to WebAssembly using
> Emscripten (https://webperl.zero-g.net/, https://youtu.be/bT17TCMbsdc).
> This required me to make a few fairly small patches to the Perl core.
> The way I did this for now is by forking the perl5 repo on GitHub and
> applying my patches there (https://github.com/haukex/emperl5). I talked
> to Sawyer about this in Riga last year, and it would be great if I could
> start submitting some patches to get them into the core. Before I set up
> the pull requests, I just wanted to check with you on style issues etc.,
> please let me know if you have any more suggestions:

At first look it seems to be rather mixed wrt how easily it can be
integrated into core.

> 1. All changes to the Perl core (which are pretty minor) will be guarded
> using "#ifdef __WEBPERL__", an environment variable "__WEBPERL__", or
> "$^O eq 'emscripten'".

In general, we prefer to avoid «#ifdef OPERATING_SYSTEM» and use
«#ifdef FEATURE» instead, though this is not an absolute.

> 3. For now, I think I'd manage *adding* files specific to WebPerl in a
> separate branch on my own repository - unlike the above patches, that
> should be trivial to rebase/replay. These would be "/README.WebPerl",
> "hints/webperl.sh", "/webperl/", and "/ext/WebPerl/".

That sounds sensible.

Leon