develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2020

Re: Scalar-List-Utils 1.54 breaks Win32 builds.

From:
sisyphus
Date:
February 8, 2020 13:31
Re: Scalar-List-Utils 1.54 breaks Win32 builds.
Message ID:
CADZSBj3__hSe1Awca4+OsgYAa9FBT0jJayB2rMD2uPcZgtByOA@mail.gmail.com
Just an FYI update-type-thingy on this.
1.54 didn't break anything that wasn't already broken in 1.53 or 1.52
(probably even earlier).
What it did do was to include a corrected t/uniq.t that *exposed* that
pre-existing failure - which is now fixed in current github
Dual-Life/Scalar-List-Utils

The CI tests that get run for Dual-Life/Scalar-List-Utils don't (AFAIK)
test Windows systems.
How will they detect issues specific to mingw-built Windows perls ?
The failing test on the Windows smokers has nothing to do with trunc() -
which is available to mingw-built Windows perls.

AFAIK, the trunc() problem surfaces only with older Microsoft Compilers.
Latest Visual Studio 2019 toolchains provide trunc().
I know that my MSVC++ 8.0 (and earlier) doesn't provide trunc() ... but I
don't know when the transition from non-support of trunc() to support of
trunc() occurred.
In any case, the problem with tunc() should show up as an NA, not a FAIL.

For a correct fix of the issue surrounding trunc(), we need to know when
that transition happened.
Anyone ?

A fix for the trunc() problem is to replace:

ret -= trunc(ret);
with:
#ifdef _MSC_VER
ret -= ret > 0 ? floor(ret) : ceil(ret);
#else
ret -= trunc(ret);
#endif

but we don't really want to be enforcing that workaround when we don't need
to.

I've just noticed there's some linux failures showing up now, too ... I
don't know anything about them.

Cheers,
Rob