develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2020

Re: Shared XS modules manifesto

From:
Ivan Baidakou
Date:
February 8, 2020 10:25
Re: Shared XS modules manifesto
Message ID:
20200208132507.195e3e02@crazypanda.ru
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 17:45:57 +0800
demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We, i.e. Crazy Panda LTD, would like to share our vision of shared XS
> > modules,
> >  which we consider quite innovative in Perl world:
> >
> > XS::Manifesto [1]
> >
> > The proposed concept already has an implementation (XS::Install[2],
> > XS::Framework[3]), which we internally use on production more then one
> > year.
> > We plan to release on CPAN rather wide, deep and efficient hierarchy of our
> > XS-modules, but it will take some time due to need of documentation, API
> > stabilization etc.
> >
> > Early adopters, questions, or any feed back are welcome!
> >

> Looks pretty cool. At $work we have encountered this problem as well. I see
> a lot references to C++ but I assume it also works with plain C code too?

Yes, it should work with plain C code, as soon as there will be typemaps in
C++. C++ typemaps have programmic API, so, when a libraryB(C) will be adopted
to Perl, in it's typemaps it can just reuse C++ typemaps of libraryA(C).

Then both libraries will be accessible from Perl, and they can be communicate
eath other directly (C function call).