develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2020

Re: Backporting ac3afc4b35 (regcomp.c: make \K+ and \K* illegal.)

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 8, 2020 01:21
Re: Backporting ac3afc4b35 (regcomp.c: make \K+ and \K* illegal.)
Message ID:
CANgJU+WAGKGbcuJccvG8YjJKh+e3EcAd=cJUyfRa6mFzNpYs4Q@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020, 06:29 Curtis Jewell, <perl@csjewell.fastmail.us> wrote:

> (I don't speak up often, so forgive me.)
>
> This feels like a letter vs. spirit of the law question, and the reason I
> say that is that the behavior being forbidden was already being warned
> about - we're upgrading a warning to an error in some cases of the warning.
> Said reworking would be to literally not do the cherry-pick, because of
> that - at least as I see it. But yes, that's impolite to us users without a
> good reason in a maint release - but not strongly so.
>
> I would ask if this commit was attached to a CVE, or something else
> security related, which would be a good enough reason... and I could easily
> see the answer being yes, but let's document said yes answer, if that is
> the case. If not, I would not vote for it, due to the policy, if I was one
> of the people voting - but I'm not a committer, so call my vote a -0.

The answer is "yes". I agree with your comments here about the letter of
the law versus the spirit of the law. While it does break the former I dont
believe it breaks the latter.

Yves

Yves