develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2020

Backporting ac3afc4b35 (regcomp.c: make \K+ and \K* illegal.)

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
February 7, 2020 18:08
Subject:
Backporting ac3afc4b35 (regcomp.c: make \K+ and \K* illegal.)
Message ID:
CADED=K57B3PvCThXsc3aT9+Uiv9Lw2M85dY4Zh_UgWtU+N3vDQ@mail.gmail.com
The following commit has been proposed for 5.30.2:

https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl5.git/commit/ac3afc4b35675aec55918770197358190f78
regcomp.c: make \K+ and \K* illegal.

However, it adds a new fatal error, which we undertake not to do in maint
releases (see perlpolicy.pod).

Unless there is some overriding (security-based) need to have it then I
think we should not, at least in its current form.

If it really is an essential fix to include then is there some way to
rework it that retains the fix itself but without introducing the new error?