develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2020

Re: chained comparisons

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 6, 2020 01:34
Re: chained comparisons
Message ID:
CANgJU+XvT780BiBuu4MnOy8aw+27zULX1vo6toJB=cY02k1fdw@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, 6 Feb 2020, 01:14 demerphq, <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 13:13, Smylers <smylers@stripey.com> wrote
>

>> • The word ‘comparand’ doesn't currently appear anywhere else in Perl's
>>   docs. It's a bit jargony, and may be offputting to people unfamiliar
>>   with the word. I haven't looked to see how comparand's are referred to
>>   elsewhere in the docs, but if there's a reasonably concise alternative
>>   which can be used, that may be better.
>>

> I'm inclined to think that "dumbing it down"[1] will actually be
> counter-productive and make the docs less clear not more. As the saying
> goes "everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler".
>
> A quick google search for "operand" shows it

I meant "comparand" here.

is at least somewhat well known in the fields of computing and linguistics,
> and its pretty easy to guess its meaning if one is familiar with the
> mathematical term "operand".

Cheers
Yves