develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2020

Re: mononomial versus binomial branch names.

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
January 31, 2020 15:38
Re: mononomial versus binomial branch names.
Message ID:
20200131153856.29677.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 1/31/20 10:00 AM, demerphq wrote:
> I noticed that we have a few mononomial branch names. For instance Todd
> pushed 'Tie-File-strict'.
>
> In theory there is nothing wrong with this, but in practice it is asking
> for trouble with collissions etc, not necessarily knowing who to ask
> about a branch, etc. At $work we have a rule that all such branches
> should be binomial, usually with the first component being the "owner"
> of the branches name/username. Eg a small selection is as follows:
>
> ap/baseincguard-old/3
> ap/perlfunc-do
> arc/smaller-toke
> atoomic/installdocs-man
> autarch/modernize-perlopentut
> avar/no-UNIVERSAL-import-routine-TODO
> avar/perldisthist
>
> Most of our branches follow this convention, and we might even have had
> a push check to prevent pushes that weren't binomial as we copied a lot
> of our work rules to the perl5 git repo when we hosted it. If so then I
> assume we lost this when we migrated to github.
>
> Personally I think we should follow this convention, and ideally github
> should enforce the rule.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't see a strong need for this at this time.  We have remarkably few
such mononomial branch names.

#####
$ git branch -a | ack '(remotes/origin)' | ack -v '(blead|HEAD)' | sed
-e 's/^  remotes\/origin\///' | grep -v -E '^(maint|release)-' | ack -v '/'
133800-carp
Conf-qah2016
Tie-File-strict
add-smoke-d64ld
aix-doubledouble
corion-5.15.8-zlib
devel-ppport-reorder
goto-doc-fix
grok
guts
improved_charclass_generator
locale
maint
mauve
newmetaconfig11
no_hv_fill
perldelta
post-5.28
smartmatchtoo
snprintf_l
strtod_l
wcrtomb
#####

I think the one you cited was just an oversight on toddr's part.  Yes, I
do think any committer should include their handle in the branch name.
But, no, I think git hooks and such are overkill for this.

Several months back I proposed (off-list) to the pumpking that we
conduct a branch cleanup project, but I haven't received the green light
for that.  IMO that would be helpful.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan