develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2020

Re: blead now is using Unicode 13.0 beta

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
January 31, 2020 08:00
Re: blead now is using Unicode 13.0 beta
Message ID:
20200131090014.46a135e0@pc09.procura.nl
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 14:41:23 -0700, Karl Williamson
<public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:

\x{01FAC2} U+01FAC2 https://emojipedia.org/people-hugging/
is one I will be using on a regular basis and one very good reason to
upgrade to perl-5.32 once it is out

> commit b6dbf1d39057ebab301f6e56d7c7ebcd44cefe8b
>   Author: Unicode Consortium <unicode.org>
>   Date:   Tue Jan 28 10:36:44 2020 -0700
>
>       Use Unicode 13.0 (beta)
>
>       Unicode has changed its yearly release cycle so that the final
> version is not available until early March of the year.  This year it
> is March 10, 2020.
>
>       However, all changes planned were finalized in early January,
> and the actual computer files have been updated to their presumably
> final substantive versions.  The release has been authorized without
> further review needed.
>
>       The release is awaiting final documentation additions, and soak
> time of the beta to verify there are no glitches.  This commit causes
> Perl to participate in that soak.
>
>       I don't anticipate any problems, and likely the only
> substantive change upon the official release will be to update
> perldelta. Comments in the files supplied by Unicode will likely also
> change to indicate these are no longer beta.
>
>       There were very few changes affecting existing characters; most
> of the changes involved adding new characters, including emoji.  The
> break characteristics of some existing characters were changed (GCB,
> LB, WB, and SB properties).  The only perl code I really had to
> change to cope with the new release was about rules in the Line Break
> property, dealing around ellipses (...) and certain East Asian
> characters next to opening parentheses.
>
>       If there are problems, we can revert this at any time, and ship
> with 12.0.

using perl5.00307 .. 5.31      porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux
https://useplaintext.email  https://tux.nl  http://www.test-smoke.org