develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2020

blead now is using Unicode 13.0 beta

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
January 30, 2020 21:41
Subject:
blead now is using Unicode 13.0 beta
Message ID:
4a27a5e2-4410-69b6-cd7b-9e246e4b642c@khwilliamson.com
commit b6dbf1d39057ebab301f6e56d7c7ebcd44cefe8b
  Author: Unicode Consortium <unicode.org>
  Date:   Tue Jan 28 10:36:44 2020 -0700

      Use Unicode 13.0 (beta)

      Unicode has changed its yearly release cycle so that the final version
      is not available until early March of the year.  This year it is March
      10, 2020.

      However, all changes planned were finalized in early January, and the
      actual computer files have been updated to their presumably final
      substantive versions.  The release has been authorized without further
      review needed.

      The release is awaiting final documentation additions, and soak
time of
      the beta to verify there are no glitches.  This commit causes Perl to
      participate in that soak.

      I don't anticipate any problems, and likely the only substantive
change
      upon the official release will be to update perldelta.  Comments
in the
      files supplied by Unicode will likely also change to indicate
these are
      no longer beta.

      There were very few changes affecting existing characters; most of the
      changes involved adding new characters, including emoji.  The break
      characteristics of some existing characters were changed (GCB, LB, WB,
      and SB properties).  The only perl code I really had to change to cope
      with the new release was about rules in the Line Break property,
dealing
      around ellipses (...) and certain East Asian characters next to
opening
      parentheses.

      If there are problems, we can revert this at any time, and ship with
      12.0.