develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2020

Re: no feature 'indirect';

From:
ilmari
Date:
January 27, 2020 17:01
Re: no feature 'indirect';
Message ID:
87tv4gygsh.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
Sergey Aleynikov <sergey.aleynikov@gmail.com> writes:

> вс, 26 янв. 2020 г. в 19:56, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari@ilmari.org>:
>> The ability to turn it of will definitely be 5.32.  The open question is
>> whether to remove it from the :5.32 feature bundle, so that "use v5.32;"
>> or "use feature ':5.32';" or "perl -E" will disable it by default.  I'm
>> leaning towards "no", since we're now in the contentious change freeze
>> period.
>
> If by "disable it by default" you mean that indirect syntax will be
> forbidden under perl -E, than all the following modules would become
> broken, despite theirs tests passing:
>
> http://grep.cpan.me/?q=new+%5BA-Z%5D%5Ba-z%5D%2B+file%3A.pm

No, -E only affects the features enabled in the lexical scope of the
main compilation unit, i.e. the code specified directly on the command
line, not modules loaded by it.

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with