develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2019

Re: Functional Perl release

From:
Christian Jaeger
Date:
December 20, 2019 06:11
Re: Functional Perl release
Message ID:
CAEjYwfW+MsuwywG7+pT4+kovZ8NH1cp5iP0s2+byJt7p-9rx0g@mail.gmail.com
Hi again,

> There have been 536 commits on the Git repository[1] since I last
> posted.

The current v0.72.26 has another 320 commits, whatever value that number has :)

I've fixed all test failures reported via CPAN testers that I could
fix (there's 2 issues on OSes I'll have to get my hands on to
understand what's going on), cleaned up things a fair bit, improved
the docs in various places and ways, and added some new functionality.

I think the best news is that starting with Perl version 5.16.4 or
shortly thereafter the tricks (setting slots in @_) that I'm using to
release memory when walking lazy streams work without issues now.
That's great, now I know that this approach can work reliably (once
automated); or even when moving to a different approach, I guess it
means that the interpreter is pretty solid in these areas now.

I've started (it's very much unfinished) FP::AST::Perl to define an
abstract syntax tree (in Perl, I suspect that performance will be an
issue for production, but for working out the principles it will do)
and will maybe implement my planned code transformations to achieve
lexical lifetimes, tail-call optimization (and syntax for experimental
monads, aiming for a presentation about monads, not real-world use
with those) in Perl.

Let me know if anyone finds any of this interesting.

I'm in need of new paid work (either contract or permanent, in Europe
or remote). Let me know if you think I might fit.

Christian.