develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2019

Re: updating POSIX module for newer functions

From:
Mark Overmeer
Date:
December 17, 2019 07:32
Re: updating POSIX module for newer functions
Message ID:
20191217073203.GA6203@moon.overmeer.net
* Eric Wong (p5p@yhbt.net) [191217 07:18]:
> > I started POSIX::1003 which tries to provide all functions... as
> > pure as feasible.  But... I need to rework it into a more flexible
> > installation structure using Config::AutoConf.  Help welcome ;-)
> > When I get help, I will increase its priority.
>
> Any reason you choose to work on a new module rather than
> improving the existing POSIX one?  I certainly don't see the
> need for all functions in POSIX, especially the ones which
> are made redundant by CORE functions.

Everyone has different needs, so the easiest way to make the such a
module useful is by providing everything without exception.  All in
one distro, which is easier to maintain for the packagers.

It is often unclear which smart behavior a CORE function has.  For
instance, which function is compiled in for the setuid().  When you
are really into high quality OS programming, you have to know.
--
greetz,

               MarkOv

       Mark@Overmeer.net                          solutions@overmeer.net