develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2019

Perl 5.31.6 is released

From:
chris
Date:
November 20, 2019 22:25
Subject:
Perl 5.31.6 is released
Message ID:
15742887270.5AF0Ce.7932@bingosnet.co.uk

  Invocation

  State your intentions, Muse. I know you're there.
  Dead bards who pined for you have said
  You're bright as flame, but fickle as the air.
  My pen and I, submerged in liquid shade,
  Much dark can spread, on days and over reams
  But without you, no radiance can shed.
  Why rustle in the dark, when fledged with fire?
  Craze the night with flails of light. Reave
  Your turbid shroud. Bestow what I require.

  But you're not in the dark. I do believe
  I swim, like squid, in clouds of my own make,
  To you, offensive. To us both, opaque.
  What's constituted so, only a pen
  Can penetrate. I have one here; let's go.

    -- "Quicksilver" - Neal Stephenson

We are rhapsodic to announce version 31.6,
the 7th development release of version 31 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.31.6 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/BINGOS/perl-5.31.6/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  a608de350a5c6007e38f65b1e919b177046e05b0  perl-5.31.6.tar.gz
  dd2efed0d6cb7d5c46a8e014450b87cac947a9ef  perl-5.31.6.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/BINGOS/perl-5.31.6/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.31.6 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.31.5 and contains approximately 43,000 lines of changes across 490 files
from 31 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 35,000 lines of changes to 300 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.31.6:

Aaron Crane, Chad Granum, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Dagfinn
Ilmari Mannsåker, Dan Book, Dave Cross, David Mitchell, E. Choroba, Graham
Knop, Hauke D, Ichinose Shogo, James E Keenan, Karen Etheridge, Karl
Williamson, Matt Turner, Max Maischein, Nicholas Clark, Nicolas R., Pali,
Paul Evans, Petr Písař, Richard Leach, Sergey Aleynikov, Steve Hay, Steve
Peters, Todd Rinaldo, Tomasz Konojacki, Tom Hukins, Tony Cook, Yves Orton.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 31.7 on 20th December 2019.
The next major stable release of Perl 5, version 32.0, should
appear in May 2020.

In No Sense? Nonsense!