develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2019

Re: smoke-me branches, github, travis - wanting it all...

From:
Todd Rinaldo
Date:
November 18, 2019 23:21
Re: smoke-me branches, github, travis - wanting it all...
Message ID:
B110B7CB-B2C8-4E81-ACC2-D86A768DA620@cpanel.net

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 12:23 AM, George Greer <perl@greerga.m-l.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
>> As Jim correctly observed, this should be its own message:
>>
>> The "migration to github" was described as being about bugs from RT to
>> Github, with the potential of effectively swapping "master" and "mirror"
>> between https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git and GitHub
>>
>> To my knowledge there's been nothing mentioned about how everything else is
>> supposed to work. Historically we'd been using smoke-me branches to get
>> automated testing. github "thinks" otherwise about how to describe something
>> that would like testing, but the existing smokers don't know that.
>
> Someone that is part of the Perl organization could set up repository web hooks to send events (like new branch) to a CI server (like Travis or Jenkins) and automatically kick off smokes on their machines that would be reported on the PRs are checks passing or failing. We run that setup with Jenkins at $WORK.

I am happy to give out webhooks to anyone that wants to smoke branches automatically. Travis (Ubuntu) and Github Actions (Windows) are already doing this.