develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2019

smoke-me branches, github, travis - wanting it all...

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
November 6, 2019 14:18
Subject:
smoke-me branches, github, travis - wanting it all...
Message ID:
20191106141825.r27qgfvqjhur6npt@ceres.etla.org
As Jim correctly observed, this should be its own message:

The "migration to github" was described as being about bugs from RT to
Github, with the potential of effectively swapping "master" and "mirror"
between https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git and GitHub

To my knowledge there's been nothing mentioned about how everything else is
supposed to work. Historically we'd been using smoke-me branches to get
automated testing. github "thinks" otherwise about how to describe something
that would like testing, but the existing smokers don't know that.

Likewise, historically all the requests I made in the other message here
went to the list. In the brave new future, er, present, what *is* the plan
for what goes where? We're now onto our third bug tracker, third hosting of
version control, and not-sure-what iteration of mail archives.

I feel that Github itself is in safer hands owned by Microsoft than in its
previous state (gratuitously cashflow negative), but I'm wary of assuming
that anything is going to be around forever, or is defaulting to what we
really need.

So how are things supposed to be done?

specifically - exploiting both any existing smoke-me smokers, but also
github and Travis (and anything else that is "free")

and more generally - getting the most out of github, without getting
railroaded by defaults and features that don't fit what we need

Nicholas Clark