develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2019

Re: Perl 5 is now on github

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 24, 2019 14:47
Re: Perl 5 is now on github
Message ID:
CA+vYcVwXRfD2C2LbhzH-wTEaRcrdVEjNRFGwaGb7yydShte5Bw@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:38 AM Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2019, at 8:56 PM, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 4:19 AM H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> You might want to change your smoking url's in _config and in
> .git/config if you're using git
>
> git:   https://github.com/Perl/perl5.git
> rsync: rsync://dromedary.p5h.org:5872/perl-current/
>
> Note for rsync that not only the host, but also the port changed
>

> That works for blead but not for maint.  Is that a known to-do?
>
> $ rsync -avz --delete rsync://dromedary.p5h.org:5872/perl-5.30.x maint-5_30
> @ERROR: Unknown module 'perl-5.30.x'
> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
> /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52.200.1/rsync/main.c(1402)
> [receiver=2.6.9]
>

> Hi,
>
> I have only setup 1 rsync remote "perl-current" and that's just tracking blead. How many commits are we talking here?
>
> Is this an option?
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/tarball/maint-5.30
>
> or
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/tarball/v5.30.0-RC2
>
> Both return a tarball with the head commit in the file name.

Yes, there are other ways to get the code, and I'm not sure we have
even been maintaining the newer maint branches in the now-replaced
rsync set-up.  I was just blindly testing/updating all my existing
scripts and noticed this wasn't working.

Personally, I prefer a zipball to a tarball and will be experimenting
with something like:

$ curl https://codeload.github.com/Perl/perl5/zip/maint-5.30 --output
maint-5.30.zip

or I can build my own snapshots from a local git checkout.