develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2019

Re: Perl 5 is now on github

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 23, 2019 00:47
Re: Perl 5 is now on github
Message ID:
CA+vYcVxWz5wT-DQYNHR4af9hjhPH32e7W0kTq1T4Zuq61ZAUUg@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:54 AM Ryan Voots <simcop2387@simcop2387.info> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:49 PM H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 22:44:23 +0200, James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > On 10/21/19 11:18 AM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
>> > In my local .git/config in my checkout of blead, I formerly had this:
>> >
>> >      pushurl = ssh://jkeenan@perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git
>>
>> I never used pushurl, but the url based on ssh is normally something
>> like
>>
>>        url = github.com:Perl/perl5
>>
>> which is what I use on my development machine and that worked fine
>

> Github does things a bit differently, doing all user authentication via their ssh keys entirely, the url will be on the github page (see the big clone button), but for posterity it'll be git@github.com:Perl/perl5.git possibly with the ssh:// easiest way to change is usually with git remote set-url origin git@github.com:Perl/perl5.git, or similar.

Why "git@" instead of "<username>@"?  For example, previously I had

origin ssh://craigb@perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git (fetch)
origin ssh://craigb@perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git (push)

because craigb was my username on the booking.com servers.  Are you
saying GitHub figures out who you are via your SSH key and everyone's
username is "git"?

If I do this:

$ git remote set-url origin ssh://git@github.com:Perl/perl5.git

git pull tells me the repository does not exist or I do not have
access.  If I leave off the "ssh://" it does allow me to pull.
Haven't tried to push yet, so I don't actually know if I have the
correct set-up.