develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2019

Re: Update: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Todd Rinaldo
Date:
October 11, 2019 18:04
Re: Update: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CAG8vyGH2455eu1Y_=FKTogDfnfOtFx7iGZ-6wN+VoZBikfsr1A@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 8:35 PM Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On October 18, we will begin the conversion of all RT cases to GitHub
> issues. Existing issues in RT will be unavailable until the conversion
> completes. (Expected duration 2-3 days).

Hi all.

I've been tasked with coding and testing the RT conversion next week.
Thanks to some help from github using an undocumented API, I've been
able to cut down the conversion time to less than 24 hours.

I have created a demo repo which will show everyone what the
conversion will look like. Not every ticket was able to be converted
perfectly because of the myriad encodings and formatting of the
original issues. If you find major problems with the converted issues
you think should be addressed before conversion, please feel free to
give me feedback by email or by opening a new ticket in that repo. You
can find the public repo here:
https://github.com/Perl/perl5-test/issues

I have done my best to identify and place diffs and system info into
collapsible blocks so they do not pollute the issues. Because the
source format is email, formatting issues sometimes lead to minor
formatting issues of the converted ticket. All of the text has been
copiously backslashed under the hood to be legible in github markdown.
At the top of every issue is the original ticket which you can review
to understand if it was broken to begin with.

We're still looking for some RT ticket authors' github IDs. Being able
to use their github ID instead of their legacy email will enhance the
search functionality of the converted issues (mentions) as well as
keep email addresses out of the converted tickets. If you see any
issues with the currently planned map or know of the github ID of some
of the missing people, please update this ticket or email me:
https://github.com/Perl/perl5-test/issues/10135

The demo repo and the related cases will be deleted after the conversion.

Thanks,
Todd Rinaldo