develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2019

Perl 5.31.4 is now available!

From:
Max Maischein
Date:
September 20, 2019 21:40
Subject:
Perl 5.31.4 is now available!
Message ID:
c42265a9-1519-811c-9446-d18640dc33e8@corion.net
Stories can be risky for someone like me. What I say must be true, or it
will be made true, and if it cannot be made true - if I don't have the
power, or if what I have said is an impossibility - then I will pay the
price. I might more or less safely say, "Once there was a man who rode
home to attend his father's funeral and claim his inheritance, but
matters were not as he expected them to be." I do not doubt that such a
thing has happened more than once in all the time there have been
fathers to die and sons to succeed them. But to go any further, I must
supply more details - the specific actions of specific people, and their
specific consequences - and there I might blunder, all unknowing, into
untruth. It's safer for me to speak of what I know. Or to speak only in
the safest of generalities. Or else to say plainly at the beginning,
"Here is a story I have heard," placing the burden of truth or not on
the teller whose words I am merely accurately reporting.

  But what is the story that I am telling? Here is another story I have
heard:
Once there were two brothers, and one of them wanted what the other had.
Bent all his will to obtain what the other had, no matter the cost.
  Here is another story: Once there was a prisoner in a tower.
  And another:
Once someone risked their life out of duty and loyalty to a friend.
  Ah, there's a story that I might tell, and truthfully.

    -- Ann Leckie, "The Raven Tower"

We are pleased to announce version 5.31.4,
the fifth development release of version 31 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.31.4 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/CORION/perl-5.31.4/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

e02f96e32e8a41e79a53b35415440f96c91cef57   perl-5.31.4.tar.gz
b90eae9924fd620b042de911a92d688e96e10535   perl-5.31.4.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/CORION/perl-5.31.4/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.31.4 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.31.3 and contains approximately 6,700 lines of changes across 260
files from 18 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 3,900 lines of changes to 180 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.31.4:

Chad Granum, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Dan Book, David
Mitchell, Florian Weimer, Hauke D, H.Merijn Brand, James E Keenan,
Kang-min Liu, Karl Williamson, Max Maischein, Pali, Sisyphus, Tomasz
Konojacki, Tom Hukins, Tony Cook, VanL.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 31.5 on 2019-10-20.  The next major stable
release of Perl 5, version 32.0, should appear in May 2020.

Enjoy,
-max