develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2019

ext/XS-APItest/t/handy*.t does not complete properly in certainenvironments

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
September 16, 2019 14:19
Subject:
ext/XS-APItest/t/handy*.t does not complete properly in certainenvironments
Message ID:
20190916141934.16713.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
In one of the VMs I use for smoke-testing blead, the
ext/XS-APItest/t/handy*.t tests FAIL regardless of how I set TEST_JOBS.
See, e.g., http://perl5.test-smoke.org/report/94944.

Since the VMs I use are mainly "off the shelf", I generally set 'export
TEST_JOBS=2' before launching a smoke testing run.  That was the case
with the run above.  When I saw the failure reported in 94944, I went to
the perl-current directory and re-ran the tests manually, at first
without changing $TEST_JOBS.  Again I got failures.  I then said 'export
TEST_JOBS=1' and tested manually.  Results:

#####
$ echo $TEST_JOBS
1
$ cd t;./perl harness -v ../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy*.t; cd -
ok 186779 -     This subsequent call to isXDIGIT_LC_utf8 did not warn
ok 186780 - Got no unexpected warnings in previous iteration
Killed
#####

I next moved out of the directory tree I use for smoke-testing
(~/p5smoke) to the tree I use for my git checkout of core
(~/gitwork/perl).  I built blead and then -- while still having
TEST_JOBS set to 1 -- I ran the 'harness' command above.  This time,
handy00.t sailed right past test 186780 and appeared to complete all
tests -- yet is still was graded FAIL.

#####
$ $ echo $TEST_JOBS
1
$ cd t;./perl harness -v ../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy*.t; cd -
ok 192207 - isXDIGIT_LC_uvchr( \x{A7, SECTION SIGN} ) (C locale) didn't
give error
ok 192208 -     And correctly returns 0
All 192208 subtests passed
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy01.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy02.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy03.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy04.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy05.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy06.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy07.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy08.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy09.t ..
ok 1 - No unexpected warnings were generated in the tests
1..1
ok

Test Summary Report
-------------------
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy00.t (Wstat: 9 Tests: 192208 Failed: 0)
   Non-zero wait status: 9
   Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
Files=10, Tests=192217, 79 wallclock secs (10.44 usr 11.66 sys + 46.68
cusr 17.17 csys = 85.95 CPU)
Result: FAIL
/home/jkeenan/gitwork/perl
#####

Can anyone identify what is going wrong?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan