develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2019

[perl #134435] my/local/state documentation doesn't belong inperlsub

From:
Dan Book
Date:
September 10, 2019 20:11
Subject:
[perl #134435] my/local/state documentation doesn't belong inperlsub
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-9372-1568146275-446.134435-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Dan Book
# Please include the string:  [perl #134435]

Currently, the perlfunc entries for my, local, and state point to
documentation in perlsub which appears to be the in-depth documentation for
these keywords. Notably, our is instead detailed directly in its perlfunc
entry. I don't think it makes much sense to document these keywords in
perlfunc, since their use is largely unrelated to subroutines in any
meaningful way. Some other options may be documenting them in their
perlfunc entries more fully like our, or documenting them all (including
our as well) somewhere else like perlsyn or perldata. I would be happy to
work on a patch if there is any consensus on direction.

-Dan

(Perl)