develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2019

[perl #133803] ExtUtils-MakeMaker in perl 5.28 armv5te fails

From:
alland@drassal.net via RT
Date:
September 7, 2019 22:19
Subject:
[perl #133803] ExtUtils-MakeMaker in perl 5.28 armv5te fails
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-3439-1567486009-721.133803-15-0@perl.org
I can confirm this also.  I am working with Gentoo Linux on a GlobalScale DreamPlug.
I am running a armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi architecture.
This is still present in version 5.30.0.

On Gentoo this is a little more of a hassle since it uses the portage package manager, the configure options are a little more difficult to get at.
On Gentoo Linux you can successfully emerge with the below command.
EXTRA_ECONF="-Dd_u32align" emerge -av —oneshot perl

I temporarily edited the ebuild file and added the -Dd_u32align to the configure command, however, it would be good if this is fixed upstream.
If multiple packages are being emerged, it is difficult to use the above EXTRA_ECONF command as other packages will complain about unknown config options being added, therefor editing the ebuild was necessary.

In the ebuild, I can see an exception already made for some things such as the below... in the /usr/portage/dev-lang/perl/perl-5.30.0.ebuild file, line 474.
    # fix unaligned access misdetection
    # https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=133495
    [[ ${CHOST} == sparc*-solaris* ]] && myconf "-Dd_u32align='define'"

For the temporary fix I added "     -Dd_u32align \" in /usr/portage/dev-lang/perl/perl-5.30.0.ebuild at line 513 so it was added to the configure options.

It would be nice if there was more of a permanent fix made upstream for Gentoo users.

Thank you for those who came up with the above temporary solution!  I was almost tearing my hair out trying to figure this out!

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open