develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2019

Re: [perl #125423] -Dusequadmath test failures on Ubuntu 12.04 gcc4.6

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
Re: [perl #125423] -Dusequadmath test failures on Ubuntu 12.04 gcc4.6
Message ID:
20190821013007.GA1722@dendrite.phys.lafayette.edu
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 05:47:22PM -0700, sisyphus@cpan.org via RT wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 06:15:24 -0700, jkeenan wrote:
>
> > Can anyone provide a patch for Configure that would implement the test
> > of the correctness of quadruple-precision calculations as discussed in
> > this ticket?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
>
> Would it be sufficient to just skip or todo the offending tests if $Config{gccversion} is defined && lt '4.8.0' ?

I don't like sweeping failures under the rug that way.  The tests are showing
problems with the chosen configuration on the particular platform.
If the user wants to use that build anyway, I think they should be able to, but
should be aware of the test problems.

> If was established during Configure that cbrt() of -ve numbers and sqrt(Inf) was buggy, what would we do with that information anyway ?

We could abort and forbid that configuration from completing.  My preference
is to not be so rigid.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu