develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2019

Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Todd Rinaldo
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CAG8vyGEPkRG31ha2uutAuZLd=niTB8M-XMm7cCvF5aiyb048Yg@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:23 AM Matthew Persico
<matthew.persico@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I’ve been out of loop a few weeks. Has the github repo been launched?

Matthew,

Thanks for asking. I volunteered to do a test migration of RT so we
could see what it looks like.

The data I'm migrating has a creative amount of encodings and
formattings spanning back 20 years. Think Outlook Express.

I am migrating the data and in the process:
1. Providing a backlink to an archive of the previous system.
2. Backslashing the heck out of github markdown.
3. Identifying the system information from perlbug and wrapping it in
a collapsable section.
4. Identifying inline patches and wrapping them into a collapsable diff block.
5. Tagging (labeling) any cases with inline patches.
6. Split the content into chunks < 65536 so it will fit in github entries.
7. Where possible, converting email addresses to github identities.
(this list still needs some love as it's rather small. I'm trying to
fix it by identifying the most frequent email addresses and poulating
the list from them.)

When the final migration is done, we also need to:
1. Close all the issues in github which were closed in RT.
2. Update all RT issues with a link to where it was migrated.
3. Setup redirects from the old RT system to take you to the github issue.
4. Assure github's backlink to the old system points to the read only archive.

I am at the point where I have a full conversion to github issues and
need a small group to go through the tickets looking for conversion
flaws and spam which can be removed prior to the final conversion. I
found that searching for strings like "money" or "ca$h" helps a ton
here.

My thought would be to get a group to tag the issues they find and
then we can fix the conversion code and do a second pass. I have to do
all of this in a private repo because it will otherwise spam the world
as part of the conversion.

If anyone has some time to help, I would greatly appreciate it. Please
email me directly with your github ID and I'll give you a bit to look
at the repo. I'm thinking we can set up a few labels so you can easily
tag the issues you find.

Thanks,
Todd Rinaldo