develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2019

Test failures on Windows 10

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
August 9, 2019 07:33
Subject:
Test failures on Windows 10
Message ID:
CADED=K6ZgcXOXbW3wFKBfr4hg308E_wki88BDgzeJgcFvLiW1A@mail.gmail.com
I'm currently seeing a lot of test failures on Windows 10. Things are
fine on Windows 7 and recently were on Win10 too. I haven't figured
out what's changed that's to blame yet. Even my 5.31.2 release is now
failing; I thought I'd tested that on Win10 and it was fine at the
time, though I could be mistaken in that.

The first failing test is t/run/locale.t, which crashes out in
find_locales() with a 0xc0000409 error, which is
STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN.

This program (run from t/) reproduces the crash:

BEGIN {
    @INC = '../lib';
    require './loc_tools.pl'; # to find locales
}
my @locales = find_locales( [ 'LC_ALL', 'LC_CTYPE', 'LC_NUMERIC' ]);

Debugging that I get the debugger complaining seemingly a million
times about invalid parameters here:

  ucrtbase.dll!00007ffd1a56bcf8() Unknown
  ucrtbase.dll!00007ffd1a54b84a() Unknown
  ucrtbase.dll!00007ffd1a50c165() Unknown
  ucrtbase.dll!00007ffd1a50c10f() Unknown
  ucrtbase.dll!00007ffd1a50c0c7() Unknown
> perl531.dll!S_win32_setlocale(interpreter * my_perl, int category, const char * locale) Line 2144 C
  perl531.dll!Perl_setlocale(const int category, const char * locale)
Line 2272 C
  POSIX.dll!XS_POSIX_setlocale(interpreter * my_perl, cv * cv) Line 2277 C
  perl531.dll!Perl_pp_entersub(interpreter * my_perl) Line 5240 C
  perl531.dll!Perl_runops_debug(interpreter * my_perl) Line 2557 C
  perl531.dll!S_run_body(interpreter * my_perl, long oldscope) Line 2714 C
  perl531.dll!perl_run(interpreter * my_perl) Line 2638 C
  perl531.dll!RunPerl(int argc, char * * argv, char * * env) Line 217 C++
  perl.exe!main(int argc, char * * argv, char * * env) Line 40 C

Every time it stops, category is 2 and locale is "Français". I haven't
found how to stop it from breaking there yet, so I haven't even
managed to step through as far as the crash, but I get this written to
the Event Viewer for each crash:

Faulting application name: perl.exe, version: 0.0.0.0
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006bcf8
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

The output of the above little script running with -DL is attached.
(There is no mention of Français in it.)

The test failures from current blead as follows, so it's pretty bad right now:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
run/locale.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/charset.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/fold_grind_8.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/fold_grind_T.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/regex_sets.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 53 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops01.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops02.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops03.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops04.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops05.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops06.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops07.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops08.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops09.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
re/uniprops10.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
op/blocks.t
(Wstat: 0 Tests: 22 Failed: 3)
  Failed tests:  9-11
op/lc.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 139 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 2202 tests but ran 139.
uni/fold.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 18501 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/t/02-xsdynamic.t
(Wstat: 2048 Tests: 54 Failed: 8)
  Failed tests:  3, 9, 15, 21, 27, 33, 39, 45
  Non-zero exit status: 8
../cpan/Win32/t/GetShortPathName.t
(Wstat: 0 Tests: 5 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  2
../cpan/Win32/t/Unicode.t
(Wstat: 0 Tests: 11 Failed: 8)
  Failed tests:  1-3, 5, 8-11
  Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 12 tests but ran 11.
../dist/Net-Ping/t/450_service.t
(Wstat: 256 Tests: 26 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  9
  Non-zero exit status: 1
../ext/I18N-Langinfo/t/Langinfo.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 92 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 94 tests but ran 92.
../ext/IPC-Open3/t/IPC-Open3.t
(Wstat: 0 Tests: 45 Failed: 0)
  TODO passed:   25
../ext/POSIX/t/mb.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 1 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 4 tests but ran 1.
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy00.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy01.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy02.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy03.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy04.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy05.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy06.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy07.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy08.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/handy09.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../ext/XS-APItest/t/locale.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 2 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../lib/locale.t
(Wstat: 2304 Tests: 380 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 9
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
../lib/warnings.t
(Wstat: 0 Tests: 909 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  706
Files=2652, Tests=683266, 1744 wallclock secs (50.64 usr +  6.22 sys =
56.86 CPU)
Result: FAIL
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '.\perl.exe' : return code '0x16'
Stop.