[perl #134172] commit 027471cf breaks t/op/sprintf2.t on FreeBSD-11

From:
Hugo van der Sanden via RT
Date:
July 31, 2019 11:37
Subject:
[perl #134172] commit 027471cf breaks t/op/sprintf2.t on FreeBSD-11
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23229-1564573017-1772.134172-15-0@perl.org
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:13:20 -0700, public@khwilliamson.com wrote:
> The patches both look good to me.

Thanks.

> I have two very minor concerns.
>
> Is saying foo({...}) portable?

We do this in many places with DEBUG_foo() type macros.

> And on platforms that don't have locales enabled, is it ok to just say
> "block;", or should this be wrapped in a STMT_START STMT_END

By analogy with DEBUG_foo, I thought I'd found evidence it was; but I don't see that now, and DEBUG_r (for example) does wrap them, I'll modify this.

> As far as the names, I don't know.  It's not clear to me what the _i
> suffix is supposed to mean, so if you go with that name, it should be
> documented.  If it is meant to mean 'internal', often using an
> underscore prefix is the convention.  But it's not really private,, so
> I don't know.

I agree, but I didn't have a better name. I see Tony used ..._IN(in) in his closely equivalent version, so I'll go with that.

I plan to commit both patches with those changes, along with some docs for the _IN variants, later today.

Hugo

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open