Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Abigail
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
20190729093729.GL18504@almanda.fritz.box
On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 03:35:41PM +0300, Sawyer X wrote:

> I think we should make "rebasing" a requirement for merging. That isn't
> always the case at the moment anyway, but with Github we have more tools
> to make it happen.

As someone who does releases every now and then, I'm very much in favour
of keeping the merge commits. The most time consuming part of making a
release is creating the perldelta. And one of the more time consuming
parts of that is to determine which commits belong together so they
can get a single entry in perldelta. If commits have been rebased,
and the merge commit disappears it becomes harder to determine this;
with the merge commit, it's easier.

At $WORK, I use

    [pull]
        rebase = merges
        edit = false
    [merge]
        ff = false

which creates a linear history (to aid bisecting), but keeps the branches
and merges visible.

Abigail