Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
26e792a4-a0eb-8e90-317d-f0ab27a6885e@gmail.com

On 7/12/19 8:13 PM, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:08 AM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1.  I really loathe the most common GitHub workflow where the commit
>>> history consists almost entirely of "Merge pull request #1234 from
>>> somebody/somebranch/about...<cut off>" which is devoid of relevant
>>> content
>>
>> As I mentioned previously, the rebase option for merging PRs is available.
> Yes, I'm aware it's possible.  Just adding my voice to those saying
> it's important to keep doing things this way.

I agree with you here.

Considering it's only the core team that merges, this should be our
internal requirements. However, I'm also in favor of making this not
only a rule, but configured in the Github settings so it's the right
thing by default.

(Some people object to rebase because it changes the history to a
history that didn't actually exist. That's a fair argument.)