Re: "Damaged tar archive" for perl-5.32.2 on ftp callsfromCPANmirrors

From:
sisyphus
Date:
Re: "Damaged tar archive" for perl-5.32.2 on ftp callsfromCPANmirrors
Message ID:
CADZSBj0+sZjLgNttxSSZ1830iPKintP7fzt8hEMfTYc7SORUHw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 5:06 AM Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:

> Not sure how you see that the switch is made after the login.

By looking at the wrong output.

Anyway, IIUC, there are two differences (relevant to this thread) between
the ftp.funet.fi and mirrors.rit.edu servers:

1) ftp.funet.fi accepts a switch to binary mode prior to logging in, but
mirrors.rit.edu does not;
2) ftp.funet.fi automatically switches to binary mode, but mirrors.rit.edu
does not (despite its claim to the contrary).

Further, I gather that none of that calls for any action on our part.

> Niko, who thinks FTP is long obsolete and should just die...

Yes - this would probably be the first time in 10 years that I've dragged
Net::FTP out of the vault, and I'm not at all tempted to continue using it.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Cheers,
Rob