Time to drop VC6?

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
July 19, 2019 20:34
Subject:
Time to drop VC6?
Message ID:
CADED=K7Mex6kj+9UT1oVHSX=ftEdrJ=HVC4LhMiZ7H++9d9=Sg@mail.gmail.com
This subject has surfaced several times in recent years. There was
some argumentation in favour of dropping it the last time couple of
times I recall it coming up [1] [2], and now the VC6 build is broken
again.

The linker is crashing out with access violation errors when building
various extension modules' DLLs. The first one is Cwd.dll:

Cwd.obj : error : Internal error during Pass2

  ExceptionCode            = C0000005
  ExceptionFlags           = 00000000
  ExceptionAddress         = 1030C94B
  NumberParameters         = 00000002
  ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
  ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 00001409

CONTEXT:
  Eax    = 00001407  Esp    = 0018F07C
  Ebx    = 00934A48  Ebp    = 0018F080
  Ecx    = 0090FF60  Esi    = 103018EC
  Edx    = 00000000  Edi    = 00001003
  Eip    = 1030C94B  EFlags = 00010246
  SegCs  = 00000023  SegDs  = 0000002B
  SegSs  = 0000002B  SegEs  = 0000002B
  SegFs  = 00000053  SegGs  = 0000002B
  Dr0    = 0018F07C  Dr3    = 00934A48
  Dr1    = 0018F080  Dr6    = 0090FF60
  Dr2    = 00000000  Dr7    = 00000000
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0xfffffffe'
Stop.

Data::Dumper, Devel::Peek, Digest::MD5 and several Encode modules all
do the same and then the build process is stopped.

I haven't tried a VC6 build for a while, so I don't know how long it's
been like this for. I could bisect to find where it started, but I
wonder if it's worth the effort.

VC7 and higher are working fine.

[1] https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/07/msg251711.html
[2] https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=132766#txn-1527134