Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
50801be8-424e-4650-a40d-6bcccdf329a4@www.fastmail.com
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019, at 16:56, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> I think you are right.  I have poked around a bit to see if any
> server-side scripting is available on GitHub and so far the answer
> seems to be no.  So we have no way to include git_version.h in a
> tarball or zipball downloaded from GitHub.

export-subst in .gitattributes[1] allows to use $Format:foo$
placeholders in specified files. Github does expand them in generated
tarballs.

While this feature isn't able to fully recreate the output of 'git
describe', it can write the id and timestamp of the current commit to
a file.

[1] - https://git-scm.com/docs/gitattributes#_creating_an_archive