Re: [perl #133809] Perl silently adds a key to hash

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: [perl #133809] Perl silently adds a key to hash
Message ID:
11d28acd-f92a-0178-9fdb-f78f3767ca08@stemsystems.com
On 7/14/19 12:30 AM, Deven T. Corzine wrote:

> Of course tons of code relies on autovivification.  It's an awesome
> feature and I certainly wasn't suggesting taking it away.  That would
> be a terrible idea.
>

>   It's the "read-only" style of access I'm talking about possibly
> changing, not the normal, required autovivification that everyone
> relies on all the time.

this is such an old topic. i wrote a tutorial on autovivication some
time before 2004 (lost the original date). it even has deep_exist() and
deep_defined() subs that do the read only access and don't autovivify
anything.

     http://sysarch.com/Perl/autoviv.txt

have the appropriate amount of fun!

uri