Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CA+vYcVy2Mjh+-DvmzaWRj+B5-SiAZfsbkOHWJv1YFLdnDQSC4w@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 6:16 PM Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask@perl.org> wrote:

> > On Jul 12, 2019, at 7:55, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think you are right.  I have poked around a bit to see if any
> > server-side scripting is available on GitHub and so far the answer
> > seems to be no.  So we have no way to include git_version.h in a
> > tarball or zipball downloaded from GitHub.
>
> Surely writing (or moving) the small server application to build appropriate tar balls is doable though. :-)

I guess we could go back to snapshots as a separate service like in
the days before git.  In fact, as long as perl5.git.perl.org is
maintained as a mirror, that service will still be available as it is
now.  But someone who goes to the authoritative repository on GitHub
and clicks "Clone or Download" and chooses "Download ZIP" will get a
zipball that looks like it will build (try it at
<https://github.com/Perl/perl5>) but it will build without anything in
the perl -V output that would indicate what commit of what branch was
built.  That's going to be a problem if we ever get a bug report from
that build.

Building from the zip archive also fails these tests:

Failed 2 tests out of 2442, 99.92% okay.
../ext/Pod-Html/t/cache.t
porting/exec-bit.t

probably because git archive --format=zip has never preserved
permission bits correctly (last time I looked it used an ancient DOS
version of the Info-Zip format that doesn't record those bits).  There
is a tarball option, but apparently you have to know the magic URL and
there is nothing user-visible in the web interface.

So someone new who does the obvious thing and downloads Perl will get
something that doesn't work, for various definitions of work.  I hope
we can do better, but so far haven't  thought of how.

> Is the existing code available somewhere?

The code is in the core and is run every time you click "snapshot"
from the gitweb interface or use rsync to pull a copy of the source
tree or build from a local git repository:

<https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/Porting/make_dot_patch.pl>

<https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/Porting/GitUtils.pm>