Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CA+vYcVxRYiL34WLSNxybirpfVnpbHcCDpQH9meUkYB+WxtaO9Q@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:07 AM Tina Müller <post@tinita.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019, demerphq wrote:
>
> > I think in practice *this* is going to be one of the bigger
> > challenges. We had to hack the git page to support producing the
> > correct tarball with the correct contents. (Specifically we inject a
> > file into the tarball that is not contained in the repository) My bet
> > is that out of the box github will not be able to support our use
> > case.
>
> FWIW, for libyaml we also had to find a way to let people download
> distribution tarballs.
> If you build from git, you need to bootstrap. If you download the
> distribution tarball, you don't.
>
> For that, we create the tarball and put the contents into the 'dist'
> branch and tag it.
> So people can download the tarballs prefixed with 'dist-' here:
> https://github.com/yaml/libyaml/releases

That's a good solution for a release tarball.  What Yves is talking
about is the tarball that has the git describe output embedded for any
random commit, i.e., what you get when you click the "snapshot" link
next to any commit in our current gitweb interface.  This is based on
running:

$ perl Porting/make_dot_patch.pl > .patch

in a git checkout *before* generating the tarball.  This allows the
downloader to build without having git installed.  I think some
Test::Smoke configurations depend on that.