Re: [perl #133809] Perl silently adds a key to hash

From:
demerphq
Date:
Re: [perl #133809] Perl silently adds a key to hash
Message ID:
CANgJU+VN9b4ivH-Vvg9R-gADQSmjDZLs9sHFpPciX9_FV3f_bg@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 13:40 Leon Timmermans, <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's the right thing because Larry said it was the right thing. Our
> community depends on this understanding. And we really try to avoid debates
> like this, Larry made a decision decades ago, and it's not subject to
> review or change.

I was speaking to a specific exchange which I believe is still covered by
rule 1.

Arguing that it's not the right decision is imo unhealthy for our
community, arguing that regardless we should support something else as well
isn't.

> Rule 1 stoped being a useful rule when we lost rule 2.
>
> I do think it's possible to make this change. I very much think the
> behavior that is being proposed is more intuitive (and tellingly I
> haven't seen anyone argue otherwise). IMO there are three questions
> that are relevant for deciding whether we should do this.
>
> * What will break?

Who knows? I have seen code that exploits this behaviour. But there is no
way to know until we try it. Doesn't seem to me to be something we can
change without a pragma.

* What does it cost us in complexity?

I doubt that much.

* What does it cost us in performance?

I doubt that much.

> None of those questions (or their answers) involve invoking Larry.

Agreed, but it's a different discussion than the one I responded to.

Yves